Monday, October 11, 2010

A Midnight Conundrum

 

Mia's infusion site went wonky on us last night. Checked her blood sugar just before midnight and she was 367, running high ketones. She was sound asleep. An emergency site change was in order before things spun out of control. Pete and I divided and conquered - he primed the pump with new insulin and reloaded the needle. I removed and cleaned the old site and got the IV prep ready. And ever so quietly, in the dark, with breaths drawn and fingers crossed, we changed everything out. She stayed asleep, and her levels lowered within range in a few hours. For all I know we'll have to do it again tonight. Diabetes likes to throw curve balls at you to see if you're really paying attention.

This is the little conversation I had with Mia after breakfast this morning:
"Mia, you're so brave. You know that?"
"No I'm not."
"Oh but yes you are."
"No I'm not. I'm not brave. I'm Mia!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment