Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Do Not Feed the Animals!


Today was the Harvest Thanksgiving Lunch at Mia's Preschool. I decided the easiest way to do this was to head up there with my trusty salter scale and measure up the carbs as accurately as I could. I laughed out loud when Mia popped out from the playground with this little sign pinned to her shirt. DO NOT FEED ME. Oh but it's so appropriate! People everywhere assume hey you're a cute kid, here's a cookie. Last Saturday I had to chase off a Sam's Club employee who insisted Mia take a regular-sized candy cane. And when I said no thank you for the third time and threw in she's diabetic, the strangest look washed over the worker's face. She was clearly mortified and shocked. Luckily Mia has never had a candy cane - she didn't really know what she was missing. And we were in the toy section so Mia was easily distracted. In theory she probably could have had a bite, but do I even want to go there? I've been battling highs from hell lately and not wanting to start another train wreck. So I think I may keep this sign on her for Thanksgiving at our house. We're coming up on our 2-year diaversary, but not everyone gets it the way we do.

Anyway, wanted to share one more pic of Mia and Mr. Big Stuff, who turned 8 months today. I ran out of clean PJs for him (hello laundry!), so I put him to bed in old Children's Place 3T zip-ups Mia had to stop wearing because of the pump. Umm, they are not that big on him. It's hilarious and a little scary. Maybe I'll grab a pic of Kai in these 3Ts when he wakes in the morning.


2 comments:

Leighann of D-Mom Blog said...

When people offer my child lollipops, etc., I usually accept it and tell her that we can have it later at a meal. I try not to make a big deal of it so that she doesn't feel like she's being denied. If she really wants it I can give a bolus with her insulin pump. But most times she completely forgets about it.

At special events like the one at the preschool, I usually don't weigh things out. I just do my best to estimate so that she can eat with everyone else and not feel like I'm singling her out as being different.

But yeah, some people are ignorant. I try to pick and choose my battles and sometimes it's easier to just accept the unwanted treat, stick it in your purse for later, and walk away.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Amy said...

Oh my! That is the funniest 'note' . . . I am happy my daughter is at an age where she will say no to an offer, but I would TOTALLY have used an idea like this is she were younger! :)

You have gorgeous children.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post a Comment